Time for a history lesson. What better day to teach the foreign exchange student in the White House a lesson about American exceptionalism, heroism, and greatness?
America's European Arrogance (hat tip Joan S)
1. The American Cemetery at Aisne-Marne, France. A total of 2,289 of our military dead. We apologize.
Memorial day france
2. The American Cemetery at Ardennes, Belgium. A total of 5,329 of our dead. We are so ashamed of our arrogance.
3. The American Cemetery at Brittany, France. A total of 4,410 of our military dead. Excuse us.
Memorial day brit4
4. Brookwood, England American Cemetery. A total of 4,680 of our dead. We are such an evil country.
Memorial day eng 4
5. Cambridge, England. 3,812 of our military dead. What on earth were we thinking?
Memorial day eng 5
6. Epinal, France American Cemetery. A total of 5,525 of our military dead. Please forgive us.
7. Flanders Field, Belgium. A total of 3,680 of our military. We are so sorry.
Memorial day belgium 7
8. Florence, Italy. A total of 4,402 of our military dead. We are a bully nation.
Memorial day ital 8
9. Henri-Chapelle, Belgium. A total of 7,992 of our military dead. They deserved what they got.
10. Lorraine, France. A total of 10,489 of our military dead. FDR and Truman were lying war criminals.
11. Luxembourg, Luxembourg. A total of 5,076 of our military dead. Arrogant oppression, pure and simple.
Memorial day lux 11
12. Meuse-Argonne. A total of 1,4246 of our military dead. Just think of how many civilians they killed.
13. Netherlands, Netherlands. A total of 8,301 of our military dead. They were murderers.
MEMORIAL DAY NETHERLANDS13
14. Normandy, France. A total of 9,387 of our military dead. Baby killers, one and all.
Memorial belgium normandy14
15. Oise-Aisne, France. A total of 6,012 of our military dead. They were torturers, too.
Memorial belgium oise 15
16. Rhone, France. A total of 8,61 of our military dead. Remorseless killers doing the bidding of an evil nation.
17. Sicily, Italy. A total of 7,861 of our military dead. What can America ever do to redeem itself?
Memorial day sicily 17
18. Somme, France. A total of 1,844 of our military dead. Arrogant war-mongers of an arrogant nation.
Memoiral somme 18
19. St. Mihiel, France. A total of 4,153 of our military dead. War criminals.
Memorial stmihielr=france 19
20. Suresnes, France. A total of 1,541 of our military dead. Oh, God in heaven, please forgive us for being such an arrogant country.
Memorial day france20
The total number of Americans buried at the cemeteries above is 104,366 -- a mere fraction of those who died liberating Europe -- and yet an American president who confuses arrogance with leadership feels the need to apologize in Europe for the country he obviously holds in contempt. (hat tip JoanS)
It is virtually unthinkable that Obama could give a speech in Dresden and not allude to the bombing of the city. Most of the city’s historical monuments — which Obama’s advance team were apparently inspecting — were severely damaged or destroyed in the bombing and had to be rebuilt. Moreover, for Obama to visit both Dresden and Buchenwald would suggest precisely the sort of outrageous parallels that have become commonplace in Germany at least since the publication of Friedrich’s The Fire.
(As so happens, although tens of thousands of persons died there, Buchenwald was not one of the camps specifically devoted to the extermination of Jews. But far be it from Obama to know that. When, during the election campaign, he first referred to his Uncle Charlie’s WWII exploits, he said that his uncle had helped to liberate “Auschwitz.” Moreover, Charlie Payne did not really participate in the liberation of Buchenwald either, but rather in that of Ohrdruf: a lesser-known, affiliated camp some sixty kilometers away.)